Are Those $20 Repair Kits Really All They Claim To Be?
We encounter car problems all the time, which can be a pain. Specifically, when people come across a problem with their windshield, they have to think of the best way to approach the problem since there are multiple ways to do so. For example, there are DIY windshield repair kits sold for $20, which sounds great, but is that really the best way to fix your windshield?
What Comes With a Windshield Repair Kit?
To give a better idea of what the repair kit is, we’ve outlined what a typical repair kit might come with, and how they work:
- Epoxy resin – to fill in and seal windshield cracks. Epoxy resin is a compound that is used for a variety of jobs, mainly for its adhesive properties.
- Push pins
- Alcohol wipes
- Resin pedestal
With these DIY windshield repair kits being sold at a cheap price, it is a cost-effective method for those who are tight on a budget. However, there has been some question if it is worth it, even though it is affordable and DIY.
How do Windshield Repair Kits Work?
Using a windshield repair kit can be a relatively quick and easy process, up to 30 minutes, if you follow the directions correctly. Using the tools in the kit, they help fill the empty part of the crack with resin to harden it into a glass-like texture, which fixes the blemishes in the glass and prevents damage from spreading.
Are Windshield Repair Kits Any Good?
We’ve created easy-to-follow pros and cons list so you can decide if you want to take the time to patch your own windshield.
- You won’t have to pay for labor, parts, upcharges, or insurance deductibles. Taking your car into the shop might come with added fees. With a DIY kit, ranging around $10-$20, you can pay yourself back over time.
Ease of access
- Work anytime you want, anywhere you want. From your garage to the parking lot on your lunch break, DIY kits offer a quick fix when you can’t get your car into the shop. Plus, DIY kits already come with everything you’d need to patch your windshield, avoiding another trip to the store.
- No more waiting in the lobby for hours and reading magazines, and no more taking off of work and having to make up your hours lost. DIY kits usually take about 30 minutes from start to finish, so you can have your weekend back.
Major damage = More work
- DIY kits can only go so far and are limited to small jobs like bullseyes, chips, and stars less than one inch in diameter. If you have major damage to your windshield, the safest option is to head into the shop. You might need to end up replacing the entire windshield, as it is an integral safety feature of your vehicle.
Risk Vs. Reward
- You might run the risk of doing more harm than good. Sometimes, it’s better to let the professionals handle the job because they’ve been trained to do so! Don’t let pride get in the way if your windshield has too much damage, as you can run the risk of ruining your windshield past the point of repair.
- By doing a patch job on your windshield, you might make a mistake, leading to your vehicle’s warranty being void.
Are Windshield Repair Kits Worth It?
If it is a minor problem and you have experience working with cars or are confident that it can get fixed with a $20 DIY repair kit, then absolutely go for it. However, if it is a more significant issue, taking it to a professional is highly recommended, so it is definite that it will get fixed properly. You need to assess the condition of your windshield, the risks involved with a patch job, and your confidence in patching a windshield. Personal preference is very important in this situation, and you must think about what is best for you in the long run with your windshield!
At the end of the day, the safety and integrity of your vehicle are the number one priorities. Don’t sacrifice your life to save a couple of bucks.
At Kryger Glass, We’re a family-started, family-run, and family-oriented business that values more than just your service; we value you. If you are hesitant to fix your windshield on your own, or if your windshield needs a replacement, give us a call!